Monday, September 10, 2012

Adventures in Beijing

Today was the first day of class! It was short and sweet. I have yet to finish selecting my elective classes but I'll choose them later this week.  I went to the art district this weekend! I even met with a friend from SF. She's here for the month and leaves on the 20th. She's half black and half Filipino! She's pretty cool. 

Random things I've noticed

-People pick their noses in public and they don't care who sees
-Crossing streets is like playing leap frog
-Young kids/toddlers have pants that look like chaps so that they have an opening around the crotch and the butt area so they can pee on the streets anywhere.


This is a picture of  pork and eggplant noodles with a tea egg and a cool plate of veggies on the side.


One of my roommates and I at Haagen Daz! It's such a delicacy here. It's ridiculous! One small scoop is 38 Kuai which is about 6 American dollars. It was a really tiny scoop!


I was in the art district! 


In the art district, we stopped for a little something to drink and snack on 



What a great picture right?! This cool cucumber drink made with cucumber, mint, and lime.  It looked really pretty but it tasted pretty bad!


A friend from the States who leaves on the 20th and her Beijing friend!



This is part of the art district. I thought it was pretty cool.  While I was here, a random person came and asked me to take a picture with them and then proceeded to pull me there to take one with her. She was amazed that I was a foreigner! I think that's rare because I'm a Chinese person in China.  


On campus, this is the Bo Ya Pagoda Tower. I'm standing on a "stone boat".



I had dinner at a Si Chuan restuarant.  The red peppers in the big bowl is a stir fry with peppers that are a little spicy but it's effects numb your tongue! 

Soem fo the CSU students had kabobs with refreshing salads on the side.  This was pretty good. I didn't realize how good meat products in the USA.  So far, anything with meat that I ordered had the scarcest amount of meat.  If i ordered an entree with a steak... it was chewy and discolored, so this place was pretty good. 


On one of the nights, we went to a fancier dinner.  (:


Surrounded by bikes! This was on campus by the East gate of campus. bikes on bikes on bikes!


Beijing has been super smoggy but this was the clearest day I've seen since I've been here. I miss San Francisco's fresh air. This was taken right by my home for the year

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the differences between the "smoggy" picture in your earlier post and the last picture in this post are crazy! I hope you don't the black lung while you're over there!

    Looks like you're having fun so far. Let me know if you're still interested in traveling to India in June.

    ReplyDelete